Thursday, March 20, 2008

Katie

It is late afternoon and it is windy and cold outside. The inside is welcoming and I see two girls behind the counter moving at warp speed. There are three people waiting for their orders and a car at the drive through. I wait and look around to see if there is anything else going on. I decide even though they are busy I will interview them first because I knew it would only get busier.
Sometimes while I am being a fly on the wall I forget people can see me just as plainly as I can see them. I felt a little stupid when I realized one of the girls behind the counter was asking me if I needed anything for the second time.
“Yes, I do actually. It’s kinda weird-“
“Uh-oh,” the curly haired girl said, “I don’t do weird.”
I just laughed a little trying to figure out if she was joking or not. She added a smile at the end but I still wasn’t sure.
“I am doing a paper for my English class and I need some interviews. I was wondering if I could interview you.”
I had hoped for a simple yes with maybe a smile. I would have even been fine with a less than enthusiastic “sure”. That wasn’t what I got. Instead I was interviewed.
“What’s the paper on? Why do you need to interview me? Who are you? What does this have to do with the Mt Cup?”
I understood where she was coming from but didn’t really want to be on the other side of the interview. I knew this might happen though. That was one of the good things about having an interview planed rather than ambushing. I got annoyed by the interviews that were set but never seemed to work out. So I explained and the other girl behind the counter was listening. She seemed interested but kept working on the drive through orders.
Finaly the girl I was talking to said yes. Her name was Katie. I wasn’t sure I would even be able to get that out of her so I didn’t press her or any one else for their last name. She was nice but this was the set up to the rest of my conversation with her. She did get better as Shiana got involved. She never let her gaurd down all the way though.

Useful Things

She was a little difficult but gave me good answers
When I asked what the Mt cup does for the communite she gave me examples.
"We donate alot of gift certificats and do a lot of benefits upstair. The wine tasting money went to a chuch" she paused and looked confused, "somewhere. I don't know where." It was a good enough answer for me. I did kind of like that she was so diffrent compared to Shiana. It gave a diffrent point of view to the people at the Mt Cup. She was just nervous I think.

No comments: