Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Mary

Mary is a quiet pretty girl who brought a whole new dynamic to my interviews. Where as Katie and Shiana were outgoing and forthcoming (for the most part) Mary was a bit of the opposite. She was very quiet, to the point that I could barley hear her even though I was sitting right next her. I had to ask her to repeat herself a few times.

The first thing I noticed about Mary was that she was sitting alone. I don't know if I noticed this because of her very pink sweater overlapped by her very blond hair or just because she was on her computer. I know they are normal in coffee shops but I always have to take a second glance to make sure they have a personal computer with them and they can just walk away with it.

She didn't seem overly thrilled to do an interview with me but she said yes. I have a feeling she just wanted to stay on Facebook. I made a note that she stayed on it and only made eye contact with me if she was talking. I don't view her poorly for this, like I said she brought a new dynamic to my interviews.

She said that she felt very comfortable with the Mt Cup and thought it was a good place to take her niece. "I like to come here a lot. I know I can come by myself or with my niece or my friends. It's a safe feeling here."

When I asked what her first impression of the Mt Cup was she said, "A friendly place but intimidated me by how many people were here. You know, just it was so popular."
I understood what she meant. The first time I visited the Mt cup it wasn't as busy so it was very intimidating to go back on a day it was packed.

Something else I found significant about my conversation with Mary was she was the first person to mention a thing about coffee. "The Mt Cup gives people a place to join together and have really good coffee at really good price."

Finally! Weeks in a coffee shop and they mentioned coffee without me asking!

I probably looked weird because i did a double take when she said that.

Usefulness

My conversation with Mary was useful because she was so different to Katie and Shiana. It also helped solidify my idea that a coffee house has very little to do with the coffee. Her mentioning coffee just made it click for me. The coffee is just a bonus, it's the atmosphere and people that make it worth going. I think this might be the idea I go with for my final paper. This idea was kind of there before I spoke with Mary but she just proved it for me.

While the interview was a little strange I got some good things out of it. She was shy and what I call socially challenged. I say this because i had to endure a conversation where the only time she looked at me was when she was talking. Other than that she was on facebook. I liked this only because it may connect to those who are not as outgoing as Katie and Shiana. She was also by herself so people didn't think you had to go solely for social events. It's an everything place and she was an example of that.

No comments: