Monday, February 4, 2008

Inside the Mt Cup

Well this weekend I actually managed to go inside and order coffee and food. I will give you a walk through then explain my personal observations and feelings towards the place.

February 3, 2008 12:15 PM


When you step through the doors you are directly in front a flight of stairs. If you just look up the stairs you can see martini glasses hanging upside-down. This is the entrance to Motinis, also created by Myles Ogea.

If you look to your left you have a the food side. Along the wall facing you there are coffee bean cases. I noticed most of them were empty. The top half of them were glass, the bottom despensers were a rusted gold color. Along that doorwas the drive-through window where a young woman was stationed with a headset and walkie talkie on. Glancing to the right of the cooking room you had a clear refrigerator which offered glass bottled pops and juices.

Both walls had counters infront of them. They were a dark cherry color.The counter along the right had the register and signs explaning specials. Straight behind this counter was a door where they prepared the food. On the counter straight a head they had the coffee makers which seemed very tall. The young woman making my coffee disapeared behind them. The drinks were made behind the counters. Looking through the door there was a sign for the sandwiches they made. I thought this was strange since the menu to the rest of the shop was beind me, next to the window that revealed University Ave. I was amazed to see that a small cup of coffee was $3.00 but the SunRise breakfast with a bagle, egg, cheese, and a choice of meet was $3.55. The walls and the desks were dark and looked like they've seen many busy days.

The floor had multiple tile types but for the most part were darker maroons and oranges. Some of the tiles were white which I found off setting. The floor looked as though it could stand a good mopping. Next to the stairs was a station to get just regular coffee. There was also a tray to put dirty dishes on. Next to that was a little wall space before the stairs which they pinned up local happenings.

Now had you walked into the door and looked to the left you would have seen almost a diffrent building. Some of the colors carreid through like the orange, cherry wood and maroon. Even some purples and blues mixed in well with the decore. The first ting I noticed was a teal couch that looked very comfortable. On it were 2 pillows and a person. To get into that room you had to walk down a ramp. Once you did that and looked at the far corner you could see a fire place with a cozy looking arm chair. They had several comfy looking chairs as well as wooden seats at tabeles. Along the wall of the ramp were pictures and photograpsh. Some looked like children drew them but the photos were mostly of college aged kids. They were just tacked on the wall with no pattern.

Along the back wall was a door placed high up. Leading to it were two wide stairs and a platform. Directly in front of the door was a chair placed on the platform. I don'tknow why it was there. Along that wall was one table for two. That is where I sat so i could see the rest of the place. I thought it was funny that there was a door and on that door was a sign that said "please leave bath room door open when not in use. Otherwise the pipes will freeze. Thank you." I thought this was funny because it was closed the entire time I was there. I was also amazed by how many doors that place thad. Next to the high door that lead outside was another door painted tan. I don't know where that one went.

The floor was carpeted with a flat grey carpet. The walls were tan and orange but not bright. The place was darker than I had imagined it. Tables and chairs littered the place with no ryme nor reason. Most of the comfortable chairs were along the walls.

So that is the map of the Mt Cup for the most part. I was not able to go up into Motinis but I have been told that I will be able too. I just can't buy booze.

While I was there I listened to the types of conversations. Two people by the fire place looked to be having an intense conversation and the woman,who was in the late thirties, was trying to explain something. The young man,who looked of college age with a multi-colored hat, would shake his head in protest. I couldn't hear what they were saying. In the middle of the room were a group of girls who wore mixed outfits and looked like this was the first stop they made this moring if they indeed had slept the previous night. They were discussing Muncie-Gras which is the only reason i suspect otherwise. They were very loud. I remember laughing when one girl was trying to make sure she heard correctly and asked "so she showed the whole boob or just some of it?" I don't remember the response. I tried to tune out of their conversation even though they were almost shouting it. That made me wonder how the older man in the corner was working so well. he had a table for four filled up with books and his back pack. He was older, and completly bald. He had a blond goatee and kept to his books. The only time he looked up was when an older women of some gerth came up and spoke to him. Her two children just stared at him while she asked how he was doing.

As for the coffee it was okay. I tried something I had never tried before, Cafe Brevier. It was half coffee and half foam. Which I didn't know would be foam since she said it would be cream. I am not a fan of the foam. So I just stirred it until the foam sank and added sugar. It was good coffee. I also got a bagle with cream cheese which I really liked.

So all in all the food was good, the service good, the set up was unique and a little run down but it was a nice coffee house. I will be excited to go back and actually start up a few interviews to see the best days to come. Mys sister said that the Mt Cup gets pretty packed sometime. That would be a day I would like to see it.

No comments: